Licensed Parelli Professional 2* Junior Instructor

My official Parelli Professional website can be found at;

http://instructor.parelli.com/lillanroquet

Thursday 19 February 2015

The Ups and Downs of Rehab

As many of you may know Damo had her 120 day ultrasound at the beginning of February. I have been pretty quiet about it because the results were not quite what I had imagined :(. The tear in her LF flexor tendon didn't show any additional damage.... But it also didn't show the rate of healing we would have liked. Sigh!! 



So! We have readjusted her rehab plan.... I'm able to ride her and hand walk her, but still NO trotting. And she now gets to be in a bit bigger space so she can move more consistently on her own. We are giving this plan 30 days and then will re check her again in hopes of some more stimulated healing. 

Being an extravert the JUST walking is tough for her, and I am continually impressed by her emotional fitness. She was especially super for the recent video story by the Salt Lake Tribune, where despite not having done anything but her therapy walks, she pulled out all the stops and showed Parelli in a beautiful light, even though we ONLY walked! :). We stop and graze, walk different places, and visit the cows in order to keep things as interesting as possible. It has been such a learning curve to play with Damo and attempt to keep her calm and connected without having the usual arrows at my disposal; as there are many things we CAN'T do in order to not re-injure her tendon. Having strategies taken out of my arsenal has made me more compassionate to students when they lack the correct technique with their horse to get the desired result; I now know what that feels like!! 



A huge thank you to the team at Horse Lovers Haven who have taken great care of us, Dr Karen at Elite Veterinary and Jeannie Parkinson for walking Damo when I'm out of town teaching. I couldn't do it without this super support structure!

Thank you yo everyone who has been sending love and healing thoughts and prayers our way! We will keep receiving everything we can get! 

No comments:

Post a Comment